Thursday, February 28, 2008

What's for Dinner?

Some of our 30 Days to a More Beautiful You Project participants have expressed a desire to improve their eating habits. With all the literature and "studies" out there it can be really hard to weed out fiction from the facts. One week blue peanuts from red trees in some far off, exotic locale are touted as the newest wonder food, then a week later more "studies" show that these rare blue nuts are not, indeed, as healthy as they were once thought to be...

Who knows what to eat anymore? It can drive you crazy if you let it. But, as far as I am concerned, the most simple answer is probably the best, most "true" answer. If you look around and consider what seems to be the most natural situation for mankind and most other omnivores, the simple answer is eat mostly fruits and vegetables. Our diets should be comprised mostly of real, fresh fruit and real, fresh vegetables. Things like meats, seeds, nuts and grains, or more dense foods should be the garnish or the side dish. But, all too often, it is the case that we simply decorate our meat, pasta or rice dish with vegetables or fruit.

It is important to stay balanced when it comes to diet, so don't stress out, but try to do the most natural thing for your lifestyle. I love the light to heavy concept; eat lightest earliest in the day and heavier towards evening so your body can digest overnight. I know, I know, this is contrary to most of what we have learned, but, I can testify that it works. Aside from amazing weight loss/weight stabilization this method keeps me energized during the day. One day during the weekend, I eat whatever I want. I usually stay within certain parameters (like no white sugar, flour, etc.) but, if I want something, I know the option is available to me, so I never feel deprived. This makes my lifestyle completely livable and realistic.

What this all boils down to is that you have to do what works for you and maintain balance with simple, natural rules. Eat simple, clean, foods from the fruit and vegetable groups that have been processed as little as possible most of the time and you will probably be okay. So relax and have dinner. Manja!

-Nasirah

No comments: