It’s time get in gear for our 2008 30 Days to a More Beautiful You project. We will soon be well on our way to getting more beautiful skin, increased energy, more balance, and greater self confidence. These are the guidelines that I will follow and recommend. Remember that these are just goals and guidelines. I believe strongly that you must educate yourself and follow the path that speaks to you.
We are all at different levels and as long as you are making positive change you are moving in the right direction. If you are new to these ideas and concepts choose three things to implement instead of trying to change everything at once. Baby-steps can take us where we need to go. Do not feel pressured to be “perfect.” You are already at the perfect point for this moment in your life. You have the choice to move forward to the best of your abilities and understanding. I hope you can learn something that will help you in your journey.
1) When you wake it is a good idea to take a moment of silence before the noise of the day begins. Mindful prayer or meditation will help center you and keep you on an even keel. Many studies have proven that prayer and meditation can have powerful health benefits. Positive daily affirmations are another good way to start the day.
2) Move your body for at least 30 minutes each day. This can be as gentle or as rigorous as you are comfortable with. Walking is a perfect option. Rebounding or jumping on a mini-trampoline (these can be as cheap as $20 in stores) is extremely beneficial. I do this each day and it is an invigorating way to start the day.
3) In the morning between 8 am and 12 pm try to ingest only fresh fruits and freshly pressed juices. Start with room temperature, steam distilled water (distilled water aids in the cleansing of your body) with a squirt of fresh lemon juice. After the water, move on to other fresh juices. You may enjoy any fresh juice liberally, but is important to emphasize green juices. That is why I love author Natalia Rose’s Green lemonade recipe. It is chock full of greens, but it tastes like lemonade. You can’t go wrong with lemonade.
A good juicer to try is the Breville Juice Fountain. I have had my Breville for 2 years and I absolutely love it. It is easy to use and clean up is a breeze. I cannot stress enough the importance of juicing. Juicing organic produce, especially greens, is like giving your body concentrated shots of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and pure earth love. If you drink 24 ounces of fresh green juices every day for at least a week, you will see a difference. Your skin will glow and be soft to the touch. And that’s only the beginning; your body will love being flooded with goodness at the beginning of each day.
Drinking juices and eating fresh fruit gives your body a chance to continue cleansing in the morning. Even if you cannot juice every morning, eat as much fruit as you like. Stay satisfied and full so you don’t feel deprived. Contrary to popular belief, freeing your body up from the energy expenditure of digestion will give you more energy for the day. Remember when you have eaten a heavy pancake breakfast and passed out shortly after. That is because your body is expending all of its energy trying to break down the food that you have just heaped into your stomach. Juicing and eating easily digested fresh fruits will free you from this cycle and give you a clean slate to start each day. Drink to your health!
4) Eat only pure, unprocessed, unadulterated foods. Stick to the fresh section of your grocery. Do not eat anything sweetened with white sugar. Use maple syrup, raw honey, agave syrup or stevia to sweeten foods. Drink distilled water. Eat only %100 whole grains (be careful to read ingredients as some items are deceptively labeled). Eat organic where possible, but don't get hung up on it. Remember that is just important to make healthy choices.
Use small amounts of coconut oil to cook with and use only cold pressed oils like olive oil, coconut oil and sesame oil to make salad dressings or to drizzle on foods for flavor as a healthy condiment after the food is cooked. Raw fats are much healthier for you body and they even aid weight loss.
Prepare fresh organic meats when possible versus, non-organic or processed meat like cold cuts etc. If you consume dairy, which is not recommended during this project, I strongly suggest using raw, organic dairy or at the very least just organic. The hormones and antibiotics in most meat and dairy can wreak havoc with your system. These things are very dangerous and are not to be taken lightly.
Eat Real Food! Do not use artificially low-fat, no-fat, artificial sugar substitutes etc. These things are not real foods. Our body does not know what to do with them and many of these things are filled with dangerous chemicals.
5) Try to eat as many raw, fresh fruits and veggies as possible, but do not feel that you have to eat all raw. Steaming, sautéing, and baking are all acceptable.
6) Eat a large green salad at the start of lunch and dinner. Lunch might even be just the salad. If you think that won’t be filling, think large salad. I mean a mixing bowl full of beautiful yummy greens, juicy tomatoes, fresh or roasted red peppers, a handful of raw sunflower seeds, spicy red onions, fresh or sautéed portabella mushrooms, fresh corn off the cob, yummy chunks of avocado, delicious briny kalamata olives, a creamy, healthy, homemade salad dressing… I think you get the picture. Whatever you choose
7) Snack when you need to. My snack of choice, a delicious snack for anytime except the morning, is any %70 or above chocolate bar. You do not have to count calories so let your body guide you to eat when you want to.
8) For dinner enjoy whatever healthily prepared meal you like. You can follow this with a healthy dessert if you like.
9) Mediate stress in positive ways. Practice deep breathing. Do something every day that you love to reduce stress and keep you vital. Read a book by your favorite author, paint, sing, play with your kids, anything that makes you happy. Keep things in perspective and keep in mind that your perception is your reality, Put on your rose colored glasses and see the good in life.
10) Try to get to sleep before midnight and sleep in a completely dark room. This may actually be the hardest rule for some of us (including myself) to follow, but do the best you can. Take a moment to clear your mind and relax before sleeping (your bedroom should be free of clutter). Prayer or meditation again.
Stay tuned for personal care guidelines and beauty how-tos to help us make it 30 Days to a More Beautiful You and Me!
If you want to learn more about good nutrition and healthy lifestyle, two books that have taught me a lot are Fit For Life by